FAQ for Beta Testers
Note that this FAQ will provide the most update information during the beta testing period. Check this for problems that are already known, and don't bother to report them again.
For minor bugs that can be easily understood through writing, use the WWWBoard. In this case others can see and won't ask the same question twice. You can report this kind of bugs any time on the board.
For bigger bugs that do not hinder game play (like text formatting, grammer, punctuations out of space), save up to 3 or more before reporting any of them. Use the WWWBoard if possible. Otherwise, send me screenshots if necessary. In this case I won't get a long list of mails, each reporting just one bug.
For bugs that hinder game play (like crash, game proceed in Jap rom but not the patched rom etc.), report it any time.
If you haven't reported for two weeks (unlikely), please send me an e-mail to let me know your progress.
SRM files (SNES save game files) are the best to be sent to me because of their small sizes. If you are sending me a file that is bigger than 500KB, let me know before sending it.
You are encouraged to make any suggestions you want. Someone has already told me that some names should be spelled differently as they are German or something. It's a good suggestion. After all, my knowledge is limited, and English is just my second language. Of course, one should always be cautious that people have different writing styles. If something is not very obvious whether it really sounds wierd or its style doesn't fit your taste, don't report it. Or I may get the whole script dump.
Even Lee's script is written very differently from mine, but meanings are mostly the same. For any suggestions, I'll be the one who determine whether I should follow. Sounds fair?
RS3 uses special high resolution mode for menus. For ZSNES, you need to use 640x480x16B with VESA2 display mode with all other options (like interpolation) off to display the menu correctly. This is not a bug of the game or the patch. For SNES9X you will also need high resolution mode plus transparency enabled for correct display.
The Business game uses a even more special display mode that ZSNES will fail. You will be able to see only the text on the left as the text on the right will go off the screen. Only SNES9X can display the Business Game menu correctly for the moment. However, since the Business game is known to be glitchy, don't test it for now until further fix is implemented.
You MUST use a clean Japanese rom when you apply a patch. If you don't know what a clean rom means, do this: run your "original" rom (the rom you try to use my patch on) with zsnes. Wait until the introduction appears. If you see English, it is not clean. If my patch is applied to this rom, funny characters will appear because the two font tables overlap. The unclean rom are lying all over the web. Make sure you check the "original" rom that it isn't patched before with DF's patch or Kefka's patch.
The fonts and the text pointers are not yet found. Their existence is known already, and should not affect game play too much. Also, some text in the tournament plus the credits at the ending are still not yet translated. Don't bother to report these to me. The Kanji's in the tournament are special names for Judo (etc) team-play tournament commonly used in Japan. Ignoring its literal meaning, they just indicate the first, second, third, fourth and fifth person to participate in the tournament.
I'm looking into these places and hopefully I can find a way to hack them. Other than these 3 places, if you find any Japanese character, please let me know.
It's a bug in ZSNES, not the game or the patch. SNES9X displays everything smoothly.
It's one of the known places with Japanese, see question 5.
This is what the game supposes to be like. It appears the same way in the original Japanese game. Although it may look wierd to someone, I'm not going to change it right now.
Instead of posting my unfinished Walkthrough FAQ, I would suggest you put your question on the WWWBoard. Someone out there must know the answer.
I have used some strange compression techniques to fit the text. The original font is 16x16. If one fits an alphabet in each tile, the font will look ugly. Therefore, without ASM knowledge, I put 2 letters in one tile, devise a compression scheme, work here and there to make things look like what they are today. This scheme, however, has some weaknesses that lead to wider space in some words or force a small letter in other places. Unless I change the whole scheme (like using disnesquick's stuff), these will remain. Depending on whether I have mood to do further work on this, this problem may never get fixed. Please bear with it at the moment.